– Subject: Operations Management
– Recommended textbook for the subject (it is attached): Heizer, J., Render, B., & Munson, C. (2017). Operations Management, (12th Ed.), Boston, MA: Prentice Hall, ISBN: 978-0-13-413042-2. Chapters 16 & 17.
– Use of APA style required in all the assignment.
– Answer the following essay questions:
1. Provide an illustration that lean production works in the service sector. Which lean techniques work in both the manufacturing and service sectors?
2. CASE STUDY:
Go online and research the tsunami disaster that hit Japan recently. How would you as the operations manager at one of the Yokoshima, Kumamoto Power Plant be able to use JIT after this catastrophe, assuming radiation was not a factor? Give your Web references and include photographs of the disaster and disaster clean up.
3. Standardized, reusable containers have fairly obvious benefits for shipping. What is the purpose of these devices within the plant?
4. Fill in the blanks: The two main tactics for improving maintenance are ___________ and ________________
5. Which of the following ______________ maintenance partners operators with maintenance personnel to observe, check, adjust, clean, and notify?
- Six Sigma
6. Kanban is the Japanese word for:
- Level schedule
- Lack of improvement
7. The 5Ss for lean production are __________, __________, ___________, ___________, and __________.