What are some benefits of evidence-based decision making to human resource management? How important is data to evidence-based decision making? Does human resource management present unique challenges to capturing the needed data? Explain.
Read the posts of your peers and respond to at least two. The overall goal is to respond in a way that keeps the dialog active and supports engagement with your peers. Ask questions if you need clarification of a point, or offer a different perspective.
Overview of Approaches to Obtain Data
- Pease, G. (2015). Optimize your greatest asset—your people: How to apply analytics to big data to improve your human capital investments. Hoboken, NJ: Wiley.
- Read Chapter 1, “The Need for Measurement in a Changing Environment,” pages 1–16.
- Bersin, J. (2013, February 17). Big data in human resources: Talent analytics (people analytics) comes of age. Forbes. Retrieved from http://www.forbes.com/sites/joshbersin/2013/02/17/bigdata-in-human-resources-talent-analytics-comes-of-age/
- Some historical background on the use of data in human resource management.
Evidence-Based Decision Making
- Onley, D. (2019). How leaders can make better decisions. HR Magazine, 64(3), 1.
- Discusses the importance of open mindedness in effective business decisions.
- Ward, D. (2017). Data-driven HR. HR Magazine, 62(9), 14–15.
- Covers the benefits of data-driven HR.
HR Analytics and Metrics
- Sousa, M. J. (2018). HR analytics models for effective decision-making. Proceedings of the European Conference on Management, Leadership & Governance, 256–263.
- A very nice summary and explanation of HR analytics for decision making. Distinguishes between HR analytics and HR metrics.