1. What is the future value of $500 a year for 9 years compounded annually at 10%? What is the future value of $900 for nine years compounded annually at 10%?
2. You have just introduced “must have” headphones for the iPod. Sales of the product are expected to be 20,000 units this year and are expected to increase by 16% annually in the future. What are the expected sales in each of the next three years? If the 20,000 units were expected to increase by 18% a year, what are the expected sales next year for this product?
3. What is the present value of a perpetual stream of cash flow that pays $80,000 at the end of one year and grows at a rate of 5% indefinitely? The rate of interest used to discount the cash flows is 10%. What is the present value of the growing perpetuity?
4. What is the present value of a $650 perpetuity discounted back to the present at 10%? What is the present value of the perpetuity?
5. How much do you have to deposit today so that, beginning 11 years from now, you can withdraw $9,000 a year for the next 8 years (periods 11 through 18) plus an additional amount of $18,000 in the last year (period 18)? Assume an interest rate of 6%.