Anglo-Saxon Persuasive Writing Assignment: Character Analysis Assignment Sheet
Directions: After reading Beowulf, students will complete a persuasive writing assignment that works to persuade the audience to be in favor of the actions of a chosen character. The essay will analyze the development and motives of the chosen character in the epic in order to persuade the audience to support the characterâ€™s actions based on ideas and events over the course of the text.
Prompt for the Anglo-Saxon Persuasive Writing: Character Analysis Assignment:
- Beowulf is a hero who works hard to protect a community, but is Grendel acting out because he experienced oppression for so long without any love or human contact? Which character in Beowulf is to blame, and what events and ideas over the course of the text support the writerâ€™s choice?
Proofreading Checklist: Look for the following errors when proofreading
- Spelling errors
- Comma, Semi-Colon, and Colon errors
- MLA format errors
- Fragment and Run-On errors
- Apostrophe errors
Remember the following requirements while polishing the final essay:
- MLA format
- Paragraph form
- Proper thesis statement
- Topic sentences that relate to the thesis statement
- On topic development and transitions
- Evidence that supports claims
- Integrated evidence
- Correct in-text citations
- Analysis of evidence that does not summarize
- Conclusion sentences for each body paragraph
- Conclusion paragraph that does not summarize
- Proper Works Cited page
Submit the completed assignment when finished.