Assignment 1: Competency vs. Insanity
In a minimum of 300 words, compare and contrast the differences between the psycholegal issues of competency and insanity (also known as criminal responsibility):
- Briefly identify the legal standard used to determine competency through an evaluation. What psycholegal questions need to be addressed?
- Briefly identify the legal standard used to determine insanity through an evaluation. What psycholegal questions need to be addressed?
- Does a mentally ill individual need to be either competent or insane, or can a person be both? Why or why not?
- Comment on whether someone who is not competent to stand trial should be forced to take medications to become competent in order to face full legal penalties for his or her crimes.
Provide examples and rationales. Follow APA guidelines for writing and citing text.
- By Saturday, September 23, 2017, post your responses to this Discussion Area.
- Through Wednesday, September 27, 2017, respond to at least two of your classmates’ posts. While responding, compare the similarities and differences between what you have constructed and what your classmates have.