Columbus Custom Carpentry: A Compensation Case Study
By Douglas Reys, SPHR. Source: Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM)
Reading and Case Reference Material Provided
- Student Material: Case_Study_CS14_1.docx
- Employee Handbook:
- Company Background
- Organization Chart
- Details on Compensation Practices
- HRIS Database:
- Active Employees
- Terminated Employees
- Job Descriptions
- Department Headcount Report
- Maket Wage Data (Salary Data)
Student Case Instructions
Students are to provide a written recommendation to management.
- Name and Student ID number (last four numbers) should be typed and appear at the top of the page.
- Page Topic: â€œCase Study â€“ 14.1 – Columbus Custom Carpentryâ€ should appear under the student name.
- No more than 4 (four) pages MS Word doc.
- MS Word doc., typed in an Arial 10 point font, single spaced.
- Well written, no spelling errors or incomplete sentences.
- If appropriate, include citations.
- State your recommendation in a direct and thorough manner.
- The quality of the response is more important than the length.
The recommendation should include the following:
- Identification and analysis of major issues:
- Internal equity problem(s) identified
- External equity problem)s) identified
- Data analysis used to support the equity problems identified
- Proposed solution(s) with proposed pay grades and ranges
- Alternative solution(s) considered
- Implementation plan of the proposed solution(s)