Week 5 – Assignment
Collective Bargaining Agreement
[WLOs: 2, 3] [CLOs: 1, 2, 3]
Collective bargaining is a process in which negotiations between employers and a group of employees occur and are aimed at reaching agreements to regulate employment/working conditions. Typically, the interests of the employees are representatives of a trade union to which the employees belong.
For this assignment, you will take on the role of an employee union representative tasked to draft a CBA based on the initial negotiation with the employer, who is an athletic organization.
- Evaluate what (if any) issues should be permissive versus mandatory within a CBA. Compare and contrast why the said issues should be permissive versus mandatory.
- Explain whether public employees should have a right to organize and strike. Provide a rationale for your statements.
Assume that the current CBA is set to expire in six months. Based on your research,
- Analyze key issues that should be included in the new CBA.
- Construct terms for each mandatory subject of bargaining (i.e., hours, wages, terms, and conditions of employment).
- Design a grievance procedure and policy within the CBA for each party to follow if disputes arise under the CBA.
The Collective Bargaining Agreement
- Must be four to five double-spaced pages in length (not including title and references pages) and formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center (Links to an external site.).
- Must include a separate title page with the following:
- Title of paper
- Student’s name
- Course name and number
- Instructor’s name
- Date submitted
- Must use at least four scholarly sources in addition to the course text.
- The table offers additional guidance on appropriate source types. If you have questions about whether a specific source is appropriate for this assignment, please contact your instructor. Your instructor has the final say about the appropriateness of a specific source for a particular assignment.