Read/review the following resources for this activity:
- Chapters 1 – 2 (Silke)
- Section 1-4 (Borum) pp 1-21
- Sociology and Psychology of Terrorism Report (SPT) (Hudson) Page 1-21 Borum, R. (2004). Psychology of terrorism. Tampa: University of South Florida Sociology and Psychology of Terrorism Report (SPT) (Hudson) (these documents will be linked in course e-companion)
- The Mind of the Terrorist: A Review and Critique of Psychological Approaches
- Author(s): Jeff Victoroff Reviewed work(s):Source: The Journal of Conflict Resolution, Vol. 49, No. 1 (Feb., 2005), pp. 3-42Published
- Lectures (all from Weeks 1-4)
- Independent research (various resources for background research on the subject of your profile; minimum of 1 peer-reviewed resource for psychological perspectives)
The rationale for this activity is the activation of course knowledge with a real-world application in the psychology of Terrorism.
The Case Analysis Paper is due this week. Review the instructions and requirements for the assignment.
This assignment is designed as an exercise in case conceptualization to develop your skill in reviewing and assessing an actual terrorist group. The task is to present a comprehensive formulation which integrates etiology, theory, and research, as they apply to a specific case (a terrorist group).
Choose one of the terrorist group provided in the following links or in the handouts for this activity, or obtain approval for a group not listed:
Terrorist Organization Profiles:
Terrorists Lists (Groups):
In a written report explain the following (use as headings in your paper):
- Briefly summarize the background of the including group demographics (e.g. year of founding, acts committed, number of members, etc.)
- The external or environmental factors (social) that might be relevant in the etiology of the group’s behavior.
- The different psychological concepts or perspectives in your readings or independent research which might be applicable to this particular group and how they apply. You can choice one (or more) theory and apply it to the case (e.g. group or social psychology concepts and/or research-“this group’s behavior may be a result of strong social control and obedience aspect.). See readings or research for theory suggestions—need to do independent research as well as course materials).
- References are expected for this case paper, but watch use of web-page citations. Research articles and books as references will help you get more points. Wikipedia and like web sites are not acceptable references in an academic paper. One can use government web-sites(as given) for the background research on the groups/persons (subject) of your profile—but theory section references should be from good peer-reviewed references such as an academic book or article.
- Remember these papers are to answer the question of “WHY” and “HOW” did this group/person do what they did? What caused it? What were the critical psychological events or processes that laid the foundation for their acts.
- What preventative actions or intervention/counterterrorism approaches may have made a difference in this group case? Be sure to cite relevant literature if possible (hint: look at course texts).
To complete this assignment, you will need to be concise in covering each of the above five items.
Writing Requirements (APA format)
- Minimum of 8 pages (approx. 300 words per page), not including title page or references page
- 1-inch margins
- Double spaced
- 12-point Times New Roman font
- Title page with topic and name of student
- References page (various resources for background research on the subject of your profile; minimum of 2 peer-reviewed resource for theoretical perspectives)
- No abstract needed
- Click Add submission to select your assignment file.
- Then click Add or drag-and-drop your file into the window.
- When you are ready to submit the assignment, click Save changes.
- Then click Submit assignment.
- Click Continue to confirm submission.
Grading and Assessment
This activity will be graded based on the following criteria (out of 100 points):
- Background on Case (20 points)
- External/environmental factors (20 points)
- psychological concepts or perspectives application to case (20 points)
- Preventative actions or counterterrorism approaches (20 points)
- Details for Paper Assignment: (20 points). Typewritten, double-spaced, in Regular/normal sized type, APA style paper with good references, at least 8-12 pages of text, turned in at due date/time.