The purpose of this exercise is to help you develop and hone your persuasive and oral communication skills with a specific audience by taking a position on a social justice issue.
You are expected to prepare a presentation based on a macro-level social justice issue that affects Latin@s in the US and synthesize your information around the guidelines below. The emphasis of the presentation will be on your recommendations for change. Students must discuss their impact of their social justice issue on the Latin@ community.
There are two parts to this assignment:
- Peer Review
Part A – Presentation
You are expected to prepare a 5-7 minute presentation. Prepare the presentation and supporting materials as if you are presenting to a federal, state, local, or non-profit funding committee or community action group. You are attempting to convince the committee of the impact of the social justice issue and to take action on your recommendations about how the social justice issue can be addressed. You will have no more than 7 minutes to present the information.You are to dress as if you are speaking in front of a professional audience and provide professional handouts.
Areas to Address
The following areas are to be addressed in the presentation:
- Briefly describe the social justice issue and the current policy or program (provide enough background so the committee can evaluate your proposed changes).
- Give your recommendations for changing, enhancing, or improving policies or programs that address your social justice issue (this should be the major focus of your presentation).
Your recommendations must be supported by both research and theory.
- Provide a political assessment of your proposal (who will support it, who will oppose it, how viable is it?)
- Tell the committee how much your changes will cost (consider why they should fund your program over others, is it a good investment, where will they get the money).
There will be two handouts you will provide your ‘audience’:
- Your PowerPoint presentation with a reference list. The list needs to include important research documents that supported the presentation and websites that provide additional information about the policy or program.
- A one page professional looking handout for all members of your audience. In creating the handout, consider what information will strengthen your presentation.
- What would you want the audience to walk away knowing?
- What do they need to be able to grasp quickly?
- How can you quickly grab their attention?
You may want to create an infographic as a professional handout. In the week’s Objectives, Readings, and Resources there are two websites you can review on how these differ from a traditional handout.
Your presentation must contain at least five references from the research literature in addition to web sites or other resource material.
- All references MUST be scholarly and selected from peer-reviewed journals.
- You will need to conduct a review of the literature.
- All references are to be in APA format.
Some questions or ideas to consider in preparing your presentation:
The easiest way to create your presentation in VoiceThread is to upload your presentation file to VoiceThread and then record video comments on each of your slides. Make your handout and reference list the last slides of your presentation and identify them as such, AND upload your handout to the assignment