Being culturally sensitive by respecting your clients’ spirituality and religious traditions, in general, is an important professional competence (Furness & Gilligan, 2010). Applying your spiritual awareness to a specific client case, however, may require even greater skill. In this assignment, you consider how you might address a client’s crisis that includes a spiritual or religious component.
To prepare for this Assignment, review this week’s media about Eboni Logan’s visit with her school social worker.
By Day 7
Submit a 2- to 4-page paper that answers the following questions:
- As Eboni’s social worker, would you include spirituality and religion in your initial assessment? Why or why not?
- What strategies can you use to ensure that your personal values will not influence your practice with Eboni?
- How would you address the crisis that Eboni is experiencing?
Support your Assignment with specific references to the resources. Be sure to provide full APA citations for your references.
Zastrow, C. H., & Kirst-Ashman, K. K. (2016). Understanding human behavior and the social environment (10th ed.). Boston, MA: Cengage Learning.
- Chapter 3, Section “Relate Human Diversity to Psychological Theories” (pp. 130-132)
- Chapter 7, Sections “Review Fowler’s Theory of Faith Development,” “Critical Thinking: Evaluation of Fowler’s Theory,” and “Social Work Practice and Empowerment Through Spiritual Development” (pp. 350-354)
- Chapter 15, Section “Spotlight on Diversity 15.2: Spirituality and Religion” (pp. 694-696)