SUPERIOR-PAPERS.COM essay writing company is the ideal place for homework help. If you are looking for affordable, custom-written, high-quality and non-plagiarized papers, your student life just became easier with us. Click the button below to place your order.
Order a Similar Paper Order a Different Paper
minimum 5 pages, double spaced, Times New Roman (12) font, Microsoft Word doc.
What are the functions of the Ancient Greek Gods in Homer’s Odyssey (Books VI-VIII) and Sophocles’ Antigone? Are they similar or different?
As we are told in the introductions of these works, contrary to the major religions of our time, the Ancient Greek Gods do not assimilate with any set moral system: they can act as despicably as any human, yet they do not suffer the consequences of their actions. How are the fates of the main characters, in the Odyssey and Antigone, determined by divine laws/whims? How do these characters, while being subjected to these laws, assert their own agency, either by rebelling against the Gods, or affirming their will against all odds?
Your essay must have two major sections, each based on one of the aforementioned works. For each section:
● Provide the historical background to the author and the work, as well as the premise of the story, its main characters, and the conflict they find themselves in. This contextualization must be done thoroughly and the provided details must be accurate and precise.
● Explain the function of the Gods with regard to the fate of the main characters. Draw a genealogy of the Gods who have impacted the character’s fate in precise and accurate terms.
● Provide substantial citations (with bibliographical references) from each work, which – according to you –demonstrates the characters’ relationship or struggle with the Gods. The quotations must demonstrate the ways in which the divine laws have shaped the character’s fate, and how the character struggles, re-affirms, or overcomes those laws.
● Analyze and thoroughly interpret your quotations. Relying on the excerpts you provided, explain in articulate and extensive terms the characters’ relationship with the Gods, and the ways in which he or she positions him/herself with regard to the divine laws as a way of self-affirmation.
Your essay must have an introduction and a conclusion:
● In your introduction, establish the general context of both works and the overall function of the Gods in Greek society and culture. In one or two sentences, explain how Homer and Sophocles present the Gods in their works in ways that are similar or different. Finally, give a quick overview of the structure of your essay.
● In your conclusion, summarize your key findings about the functions of the Gods in the works of Homer and Sophocles. As a way of ending your paper, explain in one or two sentences what you find are the major differences between today’s belief systems as defined by today’s major religions and that of Ancient Greece.
All of your bibliography, quotations, and references, must follow the MLA style: