Kimberly-Clark (http://www.kimberly-clark.com/) has some of the most recognized brands in the world. Their brands hold the No. one and No. two market share positions in 80 countries, and they have five billion-dollar brands, including Huggies, Scott, Kleenex, Cottonelle and Kotex.
Kimberly-Clark has a strong history of innovation, backed by proprietary technologies. They created five of the eight major consumer product goods categories (CPG) in which they compete.
An interesting development is the smart connected technology of the Internet-of-Things (IoT) which allows everyday objects to send and receive data. Kimberley-Clark recognizes that the combination of sensors, the cloud, artificial intelligence, apps and a physical product can revolutionize the world of CPG.
Read the article found at https://www.zdnet.com/article/what-is-the-internet-of-things-everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-iot-right-now/.
Visit electronicshub.org to learn some basic information about sensors (https://www.electronicshub.org/different-types-sensors/).
Next, propose a way technology can turn one of their consumer products into a smart product that will make consumers’ everyday lives better. Specifically, include the following:
- Specify the consumer product on which you will focus. Are you adding intelligence to the product and its packaging and/or a separate but related device? Explain.
Regardless, it must directly relate to one of the brands in Kimberley Clark’s existing product lines: Adult Care (http://www.kimberly-clark.com/ourbrands/adultcare.aspx, Baby and Child Care, (http://www.kimberly-clark.com/ourbrands/babychildcare.aspx), Family Care (facial tissue, toilet paper, paper towels), (http://www.kimberly-clark.com/ourbrands/familycare.aspx), or Feminine Care (http://www.kimberly-clark.com/ourbrands/femininecare.aspx).
- What digital capabilities would you add to this specific product via some existing sensor technology? Explain and specify which sensor technology that would be used and why.
- What information would the product convey, and who would receive it: the user, the store, the company, or someone else?
- How does the consumer interact with the smart product and benefit from its digital capabilities? Explain.
- How and when does the user receive information from it? What about the store, company or some other party?
- What digital services could Kimberley-Clarke add that is consistent with their products? (E.g. a find-a-bathroom feature for Cottonelle – NOTE: you may not use this idea.)
- Your idea must include some form of sensing technology. First, you must be able to show proof that this sensor technology already exists. You will do this using your library research and source citation. Second, there must be a reasonable pathway for this sensing technology to become cheap enough for an average consumer to purchase. Big, revolutionary ideas that change the future are great, but ideas that make life substantially easier are very valuable too.
- While you may use personal knowledge and experience as partial forms of justification, you will need to engage in external secondary research to find evidence that will assist you in justifying your viewpoint. To the extent possible, seek out external information and evidence to support your point-of-view by searching the various databases in the Noel Memorial Library, as well as credible external websites (government, syndicated research, publications, .org websites, trade websites) that may contain relevant information.
- Allow sufficient time for research, and document your sources appropriately. You must:
- limit the use of direct quotes to no more than two quotes, and place quotation marks around the material quoted if six words or more are used (even if you change a word in the middle of a longer sentence);
- limit the size of the direct quote to no more than 30 words
- provide an in-text (parenthetical) citation for both direct quotes and any information that is summarized, paraphrased or otherwise not your own thoughts;
- provide a full reference for all sources at the end of the post;
- use the APA style for all citations. Don’t forget to check out the resource advocated by your classmate found at https://www.citefast.com/?s=APA
- If you have not done so already, I strongly recommend that you install the Grammarly extension for your browser and the add-in for Microsoft Word (grammarly.com).
- Proofread your work carefully once you finish writing your answers to the application forum questions as the Grammarly extension will not catch all errors.
- Make certain that the words are spelled correctly for the context (e.g., their vs. there) and the words themselves are correct for the context (e.g., for vs. from).
- Reread the content requirements and make certain that you answered ALL points and all questions in your response.
- When you use outside sources to help justify your viewpoint or to provide supporting evidence for opinions contained in your post, make certain they are cited properly in APA format.
- Submit the Word document (10 pages) containing your Final similarity report va Turnitin.
- The deadline for your FIRST DRAFT submission is Friday, May 18th, at 6 pm.
- If your similarity percentage is greater than 5%, you must revise your answers and resubmit it to this link.
- Posts without similarity reports will not receive a grade.