Leading and Managing
SUPERIOR-PAPERS.COM essay writing company is the ideal place for homework help. If you are looking for affordable, custom-written, high-quality and non-plagiarized papers, your student life just became easier with us. Click the button below to place your order.
Order a Similar Paper Order a Different Paper
Write a 1–2 page analysis that addresses the differences between management and leadership and compares the roles of the manager and the leader in relation to the concepts of leading. Integrate some of your own experience into your analysis.
Management and leadership are not the same thing, but they are necessarily linked and complementary. Any effort to separate the two is likely to cause more problems than it solves. However, much thought has gone into delineating the differences. Your style of leadership is influenced by your understanding of the distinction between the two and that understanding is linked to an ability to lead your teams so that organizational and departmental goals can be met.
By successfully completing this assessment, you will demonstrate your proficiency in the following course competencies and assessment criteria:
- Competency 1: Evaluate the purpose and relevance of management roles.
- Analyze differences between management and leadership.
- Analyze leadership characteristics or attributes that contributed to the effectiveness of a manager.
- Analyze management characteristics or attributes that contributed to the effectiveness of a manager.
- Competency 4: Evaluate how leading influences the role of a manager.
- Compare management and leadership roles in relation to concepts of leading.
The resources provided here are optional. You may use other resources of your choice to prepare for this assessment; however, you will need to ensure that they are appropriate, credible, and valid. The BUS-FP3011– Fundamentals of Management Library Guide can help direct your research, and the Supplemental Resources and Research Resources, both linked from the left navigation menu in your courseroom, provide additional resources to help support you.The articles below provide different perspectives on distinguishing between leadership and management, the focus of your assessment.
- Allman, S. (2009, October). Leadership vs. management. Successful Meetings, 58(11), 12.
- Brown, J. (2010, January). Leadership vs. management. Supply House Times, 52(11), 118–121.
- Casse, P., & Claudel, P. (2011, January). Leadership styles: A powerful model. Training Journal, 46–51.
- Johnson, R. (2009, June). Are managers leaders or are leaders managers? Supply House Times, 52(4), 66–67.
- Millett, S. (2012, September). Thought leader: Why managers must be futurists. New Zealand Management, 21.
- Schalm, R. (2009, December). We need fewer leaders, better managers. Canadian HR Reporter, 22(22), 35.
This e-book, which we have provided throughout the course as a reference, includes an overview of key principles and practices of management.
- Rao, P. S., & Pande, H. S. (2010). Principles and practice of management. Mumbai, IND: Himalaya Publishing House.
The library e-books below contain relevant content on different functional areas of management that you will examine in your assessments.
- Aswathappa, K., & Shridhara Bhat, K. (2009). Production and operations management. Mumbai, IND: Himalaya Publishing House.
- Bogardus, A. M. (2004). Human resources JumpStart. San Francisco, CA: Sybex.
- Hiriyappa, B. (2009). Organizational behavior. Delhi, IND: New Age International Publishers.
- Peterson Drake, P., & Fabozzi, F. J. (2010). The basics of finance: An introduction to financial markets, business finance, and portfolio management. Hoboken, NJ: Wiley.
- Sheehan, B. (2011). Marketing management. West Sussex: GBR: AVA Publishing.
These resources are available from the Capella University Bookstore:
- Robbins, S. P., Coulter, M., & DeCenzo, D. A. (2017). Fundamentals of management: Management myths debunked! (10th ed.). Boston, MA: Pearson.
Conduct independent research to familiarize yourself with the differences between management and leadership. You may find the materials listed in the Suggested Resources for this assessment helpful, or you may refer to other resources. Complete a 1–2-page analysis that addresses the following questions:
- What are differences between management and leadership? Compare the roles of the manager and the leader in relation to concepts of leading.
- Consider a management situation that you either directly experienced, or which occurred in a context familiar to you. Analyze the leadership and management characteristics or attributes that contributed to the effectiveness of the manager.
- What research did you use to support your work? Use APA style and formatting to cite your sources.
Got stuck with a writing task? We can help! Use our paper writing service to score better grades and meet your deadlines.
Get 15% discount for your first order
Order a Similar Paper Order a Different Paper