Discuss the purposes of portraiture and in what ways they change across time and place.
- How does the appearance of portraits change from culture to culture?
- In what ways can portraiture help to preserve cultural history?
- Reference at least two portraits to guide your discussion and support your ideas.
- Explore the National Portrait Gallery (opens in a new window) for additional information about the purposes and forms of portraiture.
Cultural History and Museums
Most of the works of art discussed this week have been removed from their original contexts and are preserved in museum collections.
- In what ways do museums contribute to identifying and preserving cultural heritage objects?
- What museum visit do you plan to visit and why?
- What is this museum’s role in preserving cultural heritage?