- Explain the primary means of ensuring personal safety prior to the establishment of formal, organized police departments.
- Discuss the influence of the English police experience on American policing.
- Characterize the regional differences in American policing prior to the 20th century.
- Describe how the turbulent times of the 1960’s and 1970’s influenced American policing.
- Identify at least four events or people instrumental in the development of 20th-century American policing, and describe their influence.
- Explain the issue of sworn law enforcement employee averages and give some examples of them.
- Compare and contrast the major problems affecting metropolitan small-town, and rural law enforcement.
- List some benefits of the joint task force approach to law enforcement.
Each assignment will consist of a posting of a relevant news article or media or story relating to the topics for the week. The students will upload the topic with a link to the article or story and discuss the relevancy to the readings. 300 word minimum. [LO 1-9]