Develop communication objectives that refer to what the firm seeks to accomplish with its promotional plan.
REMEMBER: Objectives need to be Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relevant, and Time-Based.
- Target market: Determine the foreign target market (consumer segments) in your selected country and how the company can effectively communicate with customers in the target market.
For this section, consider your promotion objectives as you determine your target market. Keep in mind that what works in the US may not work in your selected country. Keep the following things in mind:
- Legal rules and regulations – for example, in Europe, targeting children in your promotions and collecting data is not allowed.
- Family norms and interactions ( is the male the decision maker? Female? )
- Cultural norms and expectations
- Religious aspects of right and wrong in particular countries
- The history of the country — some things are taboo, even if they seem safe
- Use of language and word choice – for example the Chinese avoid the sound/word for the number four because it sound the same as the word for death.
- Caste Systems (such as in India) and its affect on messages in your promotions
- Consider the aesthetics of color, for example the color red is used in China for luck, long life, and happiness; in the US it represents love, youth and passion; in South Africa it represents sacrifice and mourning.