For this assessment, you will choose a case study and analyze the cultural implications of the situation described. In Assessment 2, you will analyze ethical aspects of the same case. In Assessment 3, you will record a presentation to communicate your research and plan for this case.
Complete the following Capella multimedia presentation and select which case you wish to analyze.
Use the following resource to identify and address some of the cultural concerns in the case you select.
- Introduction to Hays’s ADDRESSING Model [PDF].
- Hays’s ADDRESSING model includes 10 major factors of cultural difference that are most common in the United States. This model is very helpful for recognizing cultural differences and potential bias.
Think of this assessment as a report you would make in a professional context.
- Analyze how the problem described in the case study you selected may unfairly impact members of the populations described in the Introduction to Hays’s ADDRESSING Model document. Initially, you should brainstorm as many such effects as possible that relate to the case you selected.
- When you have developed many entries, combine ideas that are similar.
- Assess each of your remaining entries in terms of importance:
- In what ways is it inequitable?
- How great or severe is the effect?
- How many people may be affected?
- Take care that you do not allow your own biases to minimize your assessments.
- Choose the entry that seems to be of greatest importance on the basis of your evaluation, and elaborate on that aspect for your selected case.
Write a 6–8 page paper in which you examine three main areas as they relate to the specific case you have selected:
- Theory: Application of theory to the specific case.
- Research: Understanding of research methods and application of findings.
- Cultural Competence:Knowledge and application of cultural competency skills.
- Select a minimum of two theories that are relevant to the case you chose. The theories should help explain concerns for the client, such as developmental or contextual issues. Analyze how those psychological theories point toward potential solutions for a problem.
- Of the theories you select, make sure at least one provides a framework for understanding the cultural issues between the individuals in the case.
- Explain how these theories help us to understand the individual client or patient in the case and how they can direct the professionals in the case to a potential solution.
- Note that theory can help us understand where the individual (client or patient) is in her development. For example, psychosocial theory would help explain individual development, or ecological systems theory would help explain the impact of environmental interaction on the individual.
- Select two original research studies that help us understand the situation in the case you selected and potentially lead to interventions in the case.
- Cite the research studies, using APA style.
- Explain the research design and methods used in the research studies. What type of research was conducted, who was studied, and how?
- Describe the researchers’ findings.
- Next, explain how the findings in the studies relate to the case you selected. How do these findings help us formulate a potential solution or intervention in the case?
- Use a model of cultural competency to explain the competencies needed for working in a culturally diverse environment.
- Apply those cultural competencies to assist the professional in your case to help resolve a particular culture-related issue.
- Construct a plan to develop your own professional cultural sensitivity. For this section you may write in first person.
- Explain how the guidelines you developed for the professional will help guide you in your future work as a professional.
- Discuss some steps you could take to further your own growth in cultural competencies.