SUPERIOR-PAPERS.COM essay writing company is the ideal place for homework help. If you are looking for affordable, custom-written, high-quality and non-plagiarized papers, your student life just became easier with us. Click the button below to place your order.
Order a Similar Paper Order a Different Paper
Read the case study to inform the assignment that follows.
Case Study: Gabriella
Gabriella is a fourth grade student with a language disorder and mild intellectual delays. She is nine years old and spends a large portion of her day in self-contained settings. She receives speech and language services from a speech pathologist for a minimum of 40 minutes three days a week. The rest of the time, her language needs are supported by the special education teacher. She does attend a general education fourth grade classroom daily for 90 minutes for language arts instruction. An instructional assistant accompanies Gabriella to class. Gabriella’s oral expression skills are in the low to average range. She struggles with figurative speech, sarcasm, and multiple meanings of words. Her speech is literal and she usually has poor decoding and reading comprehension skills. Her reading level is at a low first grade level, reading simple stories with a Lexile level of 300-450. Her favorite books are the Frog and Toad books by Arnold Lobel. She is writing simple sentences with a subject and a predicate, but relies on picture cues and rewriting strategies to plan her sentences.
Gabriella attends the fourth grade Language Arts class for exposure to more appropriate grade level content. She requires frequent breaks and one-on-one support from an assistant when participating in the general education setting. The special education teacher and assistant work with the general education teacher to modify the assignments in class.
Gabriella is exempt from the district course assessment at this time, and her grade is based on participation, reduced and modified assignments, and an alternative individual project instead of a final exam. When working in groups, Gabriella will participate by making choices, with visual cues prompted by the assistant. Gabriella has been integrated into language arts instruction since the second grade. Students enjoy having her in class and are helpful. She also attends art, music, PE, recess, and lunch with the same fourth grade class.
Part 1: Goal Writing
Write a measureable IEP goal for Gabriella that includes the use of augmentative and alternative communication systems, and assistive technology in the classroom to facilitate communication with peers and aid in comprehension of content.
Part 2: Mini Unit
Utilizing the COE Lesson Plan Template, compose a mini-unit of three formal ELA lesson plans that build upon the following:
Current Instruction and Content in the Fourth Grade Classroom:
- Currently, students are reading about the Underground Railroad.
- Current instruction must be aligned to Common Core Standards: CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.4.1-RI.4.6
- Completed lesson activity and learning target includes students working individually to complete a graphic organizer to identify the setting, main idea, and key details.
- For each lesson plan, differentiate activities for Gabriella that address Gabriella’s measureable IEP goal and include assistive technologies. In addition, for each lesson plan, create a pre- and post-assessment, using a low or high tech based accommodation, to evaluate whether Gabriella’s measurable IEP goal are met.
Part 3: Rationale
Provide a 250-500-word rationale that supports your instructional choices for Gabriella’s IEP goal, the differentiated activities in the mini-unit, and the alignment between the two. Support your rationale with 2-3 scholarly resources on best practices regarding semantics disorders and the use of assistive technology.
Prepare this assignment according to the APA guidelines found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center. An abstract is not required.
This assignment uses a rubric. Please review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.
You are required to submit this assignment to LopesWrite.
Standards and program competencies assessed in the benchmark assignment:
- COE Program Competencies:
- D 5, C 5.2: Teacher candidates use technologies to support instructional assessment, planning, and delivery for individuals with exceptionalities. (CEC 5.2)
- D 5, C 5.3: Teacher candidates evaluate and select appropriate augmentative and alternative communication systems and a variety of assistive technologies to support the communication and learning of individuals with exceptionalities. (CEC 5.3)
- D5, C 5.4: Teacher candidates use strategies to enhance language development and communication skills of individuals with exceptionalities. (CEC 5.4)